Author Topic: Angelic Orbs: Broken Memories  (Read 4336 times)

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
Angelic Orbs: Broken Memories
« on: January 28, 2010, 05:44:50 pm »

Title: Angelic Orbs: Broken Memories

Type: Fantasy, BxG
3 routes

Kevin's life changes one day with a chance meeting with a demon hunting for a glass orb. Running for his life he ends up in a nearby town, where he encounters a strange group of people also on the lookout for this glass orb. Soon he is unwillingly dragged along on this journey, and may even have to choose what side in this hunt he wishes to take.

Characters:

Kevin:
The protagonist. Kevin lives on a farm outside a small town, where he spends his event-less days with his two friends.

Tia:
A strange girl leading a small group on a hunt for magical treasure. Takes an interest in Kevin, although she seems to have her own, hidden reasons.

Yoko:
Part of Tia's group. Yoko is a female warrior who is very reluctant about having an outsider like Kevin join them in their quest, as she just sees him as a hindrance.

Zyra:
A strange, black-winged girl who follows the group from a distance.

Downloads:

Downloads for windows, mac and linux can all be found here on the game's website.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:52:01 pm by Vatina »

lordcloudx

Re: Angelic Orbs: Broken Memories
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 07:29:23 pm »
Finally found time to play this game. I liked it. Although the protagonist seems to only play a small role in a bigger story, it got me interested in seeing more of the Angelic Orbs universe. The three heroines are all interesting in their own ways. Couldn't help thinking Tia = Usagi (Sailormoon) though.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Zyra's route is definitely my favorite. This is purely personal preference, but I found her to be the most attractive out of the three heroines. I was actually hoping for that Kevin would end up together with her somehow. Maybe even become a demon himself... or a sidekick.

My only complaint is that the ending for her route felt quite abrupt.

So anyway, I'm a bit late, but, great job on this VN.

mikey

• View Profile
Re: Angelic Orbs: Broken Memories
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 09:00:46 pm »
First, I really wanted to play AO for a long time, and a very "shallow" reason is simply that I love Vatina's art style. I'm sure I have mentioned it before, but it doesn't hurt to say again that I find the art style has a sort of beautiful simplicity to it - maybe it's the light shading, maybe it's the fine lines, but it's one of the styles that doesn't scream "manga, in-your-face!" It's more measured and very melancholic - and it's absolutely no accident I used Vatina's art for the VN that expresses "tranquility".

Second, I really enjoyed the story. I still don't have all the endings (the bad ones, mostly), but I believe I know enough of the story, not least because it all makes sense. And it's interesting, because on several occasions, I was kind of caught off guard with how the story went. On my second full playthrough with Zyra's route, early in, I "gave up" on a sort of instinctive predicting and speculation that often happens when I (or other people, I assume) read a story with an intertwined plot, and just let it all happen. It was really nice, and I think this is why Zyra's route is my hands down favorite. My alter ego "trusted" her, and so I am kind of looking at the whole backstory with the bias on how she perceives it.

I don't really know whether a lengthy pause from VNs has done me so well, or whether it's just that I have gotten good in picking the ones I know I will like *and* play them when I feel like I will enjoy them the most - sometimes even waiting for years. But I thoroughly enjoyed the time, and on many occasions while I played, I stopped and thought about what I was doing - thinking about some alternative lines, imaging the CGs were animated, or just concentrating so much, that I "imagined over" some of blurred backgrounds, replacing them with other images I constructed in my mind.

You could see at least that latter thing as complaining about backgrounds that don't quite go well with the other art (which they don't), but I was so thrilled to have my imagination sparked by a VN, that I actually think that's a good thing. When I pause to think about what I would have said as Kevin, or when I re-imagine BGs to look like drawn CGs, and when I visualize the story like a comic, it's hard for me to know whether explanation-heavy dialogues and/or filtered photos were in fact a "drawback", because who knows - it's been often the case that I have played VNs with no apparent shortcomings, and they left nothing for my mind to do.

And I know that for me, as the creator, I tend to think differently about games which were released years before. Perhaps for the first few months, it's interesting to hear a bit of the negative critique, but after a certain time, the game is less something you'd like to share and discuss anymore, than it is something you just hope will bring some enjoyment to others, and to you it's more a memory than anything else. And it works, at least for me, as a player as well. In other words, I think at this time, it doesn't make any sense to "play with a review in mind" (though arguably that's never a good idea), because almost 3 years after its release there is no benefit to anyone in any critique - which means I didn't even need to supress these "instincts".

It's this confluence of all those factors that made AO:BM have the effect that it did. I loved the time spent with it, and I even found my "home" path, that which I will remember most fondly. It's wonderful.

anything