Author Topic: Teacup Event #3: Freshly brewed Tea-m  (Read 10732 times)

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
Re: Teacup Event #3: Freshly brewed Tea-m
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 12:06:55 pm »
Already a week gone by again >_<

This time I can report having written about half the script for our team's vn. Otherwise it's pretty much the same as mikey's post.

Onwards and upwards...

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 08:08:11 am »
Yet another week is gone, and it's time to look at how things are going again, make yourself aware of whatever is still missing, or what needs to be done  - it's now 4 weeks to go. Good luck, everyone.

As for me, I am actually trying to draw a person now, what will be the basis for our sprites. I should probably be depressed seeing how it looks, but I kind of take it that it's in fact the spirit of the challenge, so it's nothing to be embarrassed about. But it's really interesting to explore this world and find out new things - like that the fluidity of the hand motion when drawing seems to be very important, or at least this is something I feel like would help, but it's very apparent it can only be achieved with a lot of practice.

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 09:38:46 am »
I think you're right about the hand motion thing - something that often gets in the way of new artists is that their movements are too stiff, and 'loosening up' is something that comes with time and practice.

Progress on my part - once again, not much! I've been busy moving, and I have a deadline coming up >_< (of course that just means that it's good I don't have to do art for this project! :P Yay!)

Things are calming down this week, so I plan to get back on writing the rest of the story this and next week. I'll try and respond to your comments on it soon mikey :)

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 12:06:10 pm »
Time flies, and it's another Wednesday, this time only 3 weeks to go. Now the time is probably right to look at the projects more seriously and decide on what needs to be done to finish comfortably. Good luck to everyone.

My own progress is, well - I have made sketches of backgrounds and characters, and they look like more or less any complete beginner's drawings - they're mine and I like them, but I realized that this is the best I can do at the moment, so I am not going to practice anymore and whatever I work on from now on, I will scan and use in the VN. And I'll start with the character art.

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2010, 06:09:05 am »
Even quicker to come around this time, it's Wednesday again, and 2 weeks to go. Well, there is a bit of a buffer, but at least I do intend to use it, vacation and all. So it's pretty much crunch time, I guess, from now on - of course, depending on how large your project is.

I intend to have all my sprites ready by the end of the week (Sunday), so let's hope that works out. Then, the backgrounds the next week, and putting things together in the final days. It should work out.

Anyway, good luck to everyone, it's coming closer :)

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2010, 07:05:48 pm »
Yay, vacation coming up! That should help on getting some music done.

Also, finished writing the first of two endings today! To think it's taking me so long even though the story is so short :P

sake-bento

• Suiheisen
    • View Profile
    • sakevisual
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 04:33:54 am »
D: Is it that time already? I doubt we'll get our project finished, but I will definitely have some new art to show for it! ::determination::

lordcloudx

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 06:02:41 am »
@sake-bento: Awww... that's too bad. There's still some time, though. Maybe some quick bursts of creative energy can help you two pull it through?

Just a quick status update for team LITEVN, we're just waiting for the group release of all the games. In fact, my partner, MoonlightBomber couldn't wait and made his own mini-release (:P) through other channels. Hopefully, not a lot of you have been spoiled by it just yet.

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 12:53:18 pm »
So impatient :P Nope, haven't seen it yet.

Sorry to hear that Sake. If you don't make it, will the two of you still finish it some time?

Hime

• of Lux Visual Novels
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lux Visual Novels Blog
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 04:39:58 pm »
Both of us have had some real life hurries (I could barely work at all in September), but I believe we will be able to release with a delay. The progress with the script has been steady, even if slow.
A piece of eternal wisdom: "Viking-chan isn't a viking-chan without her beard!"
Click here for the Lux Visual Novels blog!

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2010, 01:33:22 pm »
Well, I root for you finishing very soon after the deadline, hopefully this will be the case. Often projects past deadlines, especially event-based projects, slow down a lot as they change from being the actual event to becoming a commitment (even if a voluntary one). So you might end up with a project which you in fact like and want to work on, but it's nevertheless an addition to your already existing lineup and takes time and effort away from any other already running projects, something you may or may not really want, depending on priorities. Often it will not even be within your control - even with a reasonable plan, counting with some unforseen downtime, you can still have a series of unfortunate setbacks that create such a situation.

My practical suggestions (1.),(2.) and (3.) would be: if you think you'll be realistically able to finish within a week or two (maximum) after the deadline, keep going with the original plan (1.). If it looks like it could be more, perhaps it may be a good idea to re-think things, or even re-shuffle ideas and transform the project (2.), so that it can be finished on time (before November), otherwise what you are doing is not really participating in the Event #3 anymore, but working on a "standalone" project (3.) which had its roots in Event #3. Taking this approach has the benefit of not really needing to worry about Event #3's deadlines and being able to plan more flexibly.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:35:20 pm by mikey »

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2010, 09:39:53 am »
Another Wednesday is here, this time it's the penultimate one, so we have only 1 more week (and a few days extra) to go. It seems, based on the thread so far, that there are different situations for the different teams, let's hope everyone will achieve what they wanted. So this is pretty much the last chance do make any major changes, or to revisit something.

Just yesterday in the evening I finished all the graphics (by that I mean 2 backgrounds and 1 sprite), so aside from a few tweaks, the graphics are all present. It looks like it's very little, but it wasn't little to me. I also worked without any reference for characters or scenery, just from memory / imagination, so that was my secret extra challenge I can now reveal. Previously when I drew the sprite for OMK, I had reference material, so I thought I'd try just drawing away until I have no time left. The two background scenes have some perspective problems, and the sprite is, like I said once before, pretty much like all beginner character drawings. But oh well, no time to retry anymore, I will take what I have now and go with that. Plus, I enjoyed drawing - not so much the sprite if I'm honest, but the backgrounds definitely. :)

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2010, 07:08:53 am »
The final Wednesday is here and well, no huge words needed anymore, good luck to everyone, and looking forward to releases during the weekend!

Time is running out for our team as well, but today I will be able to have a close look at what we need and go from there, I am confident we will make it in time, I'll set aside some extra time and we should be fine - not sure whether the release day will be Saturday or Sunday, that still depends, but this weekend definitely.  :)

lordcloudx

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2010, 02:20:17 am »
Just wanted to ask for a quick update on Hime and Sake-Bento's project, if possible. How's it going?

Hime

• of Lux Visual Novels
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lux Visual Novels Blog
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 06:51:25 pm »
The script is actually near completion if I look at my plans, but to be honest, I feel it lacks something as of current. Since we are well over the deadline now and I still feel the need to polish this, I suppose we could make this into a festival project if sake is okay with the idea.
A piece of eternal wisdom: "Viking-chan isn't a viking-chan without her beard!"
Click here for the Lux Visual Novels blog!