login

Author Topic: Old-timer  (Read 3086 times)

mikey

• View Profile
Old-timer
« on: August 14, 2010, 03:36:59 PM »
Perhaps the only game in 2010 from me, this is the short non-story called "Old-timer".
Enjoy, everyone.
http://atpprojects.wordpress.com/

lordcloudx

Re: Old-timer
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 06:29:40 PM »
"Non story?" Just because of that, I feel tempted to play this even though it's exam week right now :P. Congrats on the game release.

Update: Ok, finally took some time for this. Review spoiler-tagged
Spoiler for Hiden:
Man, it took me forever just to even get Emma's name. Heh, and Andersson's for that matter. It took some time for the protagonist's matter-of-fact narration style to sink in. At first, I was like, "Ok, he's an old man, he's trying to quite smoking and he's interested in buying some car called an Old Timer... ummm... nice." It was rather interesting when I finally found the path to developing some kind of relationship with Emma though. Personally, I didn't find the apparent age difference between them to be as much of a barrier as Andersson seems to think. Of course, this might also be the problem as to why I kept getting some of the more abrupt endings like forgetting about the car - the end, Buying the car - the end. I was pretty much playing the game as myself and the game seemed to hate my apathetic personality :D Heh. Anyway, once I tried to play the game the way I thought the protagonist might choose in-character, I finally found what I found to be personally the better endings.

Over-all, it's a nice, slow-paced 10-15 minute read. I found the general atmosphere of the story to be quite relaxing. I would have personally preferred a lot more conflict whether external or internal, but I do realize that's just not your style.

Also, I wouldn't call this a non-story but more of a non-expounded story.

Also, I made a fanart.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 06:39:58 PM by lordcloudx »

mikey

• View Profile
Re: Old-timer
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 07:51:25 AM »
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wonder though, how the game would dislike your personality, I would actually think this is a game which would suit you well - it may be because this game is meant to just be played / read through without an agenda whatsoever, not looking at what consequences actions will have or where things could lead to. There is no "right" ending, because no matter what you do, the events will unfold the way they always would - you can't really change anything except what you get to know, see or understand. Which isn't much, especially if it's not your story (but the woman's) you are interested in. Even the "best" endings are really just endings in which you are able to see what happened later on (which you also kind of knew would happen), rather than results of what you have influenced.

You can call it a non-expounded story, because indeed there are events happening and something is going on. I guess a non-story in that sense would be a pure dialogue or something that doesn't have an indication of time passing. Off the top of my head I can't even tell you how many endings there are, and I didn't number them on purpose. But I think that the idea of it being a slow read with not much conflict is just about spot-on. It's why the theme is "consolation". The atmosphere of the dialogues (not judging, acknowledging the difficulty of the problems at hand) the two characters have is soothing to them and they are thankful that it makes getting through the challenges they are currently facing easier. I wanted to make it clear that they don't need one another to solve their problems. It's just nice for them to have a single person who knows and acknowledges. That's all there is to it.

And thank you for the fan art, Glu will be so happy :)