imagelogin

Author Topic: Teacup VN Review Club Discussion Thread  (Read 2084 times)

lordcloudx

Teacup VN Review Club Discussion Thread
« on: August 08, 2010, 04:29:19 pm »
We started this little activity in the IRC Channel. Anyone is free to participate. Each week, a new VN (EVN or JVN) will be posted here for review/discussion.

The game of the moment is: The Silent Wolf
Discussion thread at LSF: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6884

Feel free to make comments/suggestions or actual game discussions within this thread.

My review for this game as posted in LSF
lzdubar and majes, I salute you. That was seriously one of the most well-written stories I've read in quite a while.

The plot by itself is pretty straightforward as soon as the perspective switches to Sebastian Tell's, but I have to commend the writer for his(her?) skills, that really brought the characters, events and settings to life. I started reading this VN with very low expectations based on the sketches in this thread and the short description and boy was I proven wrong.

The characters really felt alive, despite the short screen time given to some. Everyone just felt so authentic; from the general, to the soldiers, to the town mayor. I was already a bit skeptical about the game when I saw that it was about some mercenaries and it seemed to have a dystopian setting, but all my doubts were completely blown away as soon as I actually sat down to read this visual novel.

On the technical side, the text is hard to read at times, but not enough to completely detract from the experience. The music felt fittingly ironic. The character art gets the job done. I like the little sound effects like the gunshots coupled with grunts and screams in some parts of the game. There were a few typos, but they weren't glaringly noticeable.

Over-all, this was a really, really great hour or so of reading
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 05:17:50 pm by lordcloudx »