Author Topic: Official Teacup Event Planning and Suggestions Thread  (Read 8665 times)

mikey

• View Profile
Re: Official Teacup Event Planning and Suggestions Thread
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 09:46:19 am »
In light of the conversation in one of the topics, I had an idea, which could be controversial or even impractical given that everyone has their own views on things, and I am in fact pretty much just thinking aloud, but here it goes - what if, for the next event (Event #5), we don't make a VN, but we write, collaboratively, a philosophical book about art and creating?

The thing is, I have seen pieces of very interesting thoughts here and there, but I've always wanted to have some reference work where the typical subjects like popularity, self-expression, what-is-art, etc would be dealt with. This would give us more space to elaborate on concepts, because it's difficult to hunt down a certain topic on forums and blog posts. I would even suggest this be a wiki-style collaboration, with revisions coming out whenever needed, though the scope of the event would "just" be to create that first version of the "e-book". It would be perfectly OK to rehash points we've made in the past, even copy/paste parts of things we've said (some of the posts here are good candidates, as well as BTW articles), because the point would be that the contributors collect all their relevant views on things into this one book.

As for the content, I would suggest not doing a collection of let's say "techniques for beating procrastination", but instead having something like "what is procrastination and how does it affect your mind", meaning writing even about the practical topics from a higher level. In this case this would be more of a psychological topic, not philosophical, but that's well within the scope, psychological angles are welcome. Therefore this book I am suggesting here now would not be a collection of "tips" or "best practices" or "how to get started", so it would not be for people who are beginning and experimenting and have not found their style yet. It would be for those who have tried creating things, they liked it, want to continue doing it, but are looking for a meaning or explanations why creating makes them feel a certain way to understand things about themselves and why they are happy doing what they do.

Again, this may be a terrible idea and we may start arguing about everything once we start writing, but in any case, I think it's worth to at least think about it, I would say. I feel it myself, that I have been involved in all these discussions and have had so many experiences, but they are all scattered around in forum posts and articles no one will dig up anymore, not even me. Plus, they lack structure. Anyway, let me know what you think - it may be tough to be looking for common grounds when even the "core" Teacup members won't always agree on things (no one says there can't be multiple philosophies presented though), and we'd need a strong editor and some structure. It isn't the easiest thing to do, but... what do you think?

number473

• View Profile
    • sattotw
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 06:25:14 am »
Are you thinking more of collaboratively written and collected pieces, or of a collection of essays etc of different views on various of these topics by various authors? Because whereas the former might have merit, I think a collection of differeing, conflicting and also sometimes agreeing opinions would be worth more and allow the reader more freedom to make up their own mind from the material gathered in the volume.

lordcloudx

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 07:37:24 am »
This sounds like a great idea and it's not too time-consuming so it should allow almost everyone interested to participate.

I'd suggest that we narrow this ebook down to specific topics if we do pull through with this plan. Sort of an organized collection of essays on various broad topics, maybe?

Example:
-Art
-Critique
-Procrastination
-Word Count
-Audience
-Satisfaction

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 03:06:21 pm »
number473 >> I would suggest the consolidated approach and not a collection of essays, mainly because it was precisely the issue I wanted to address - on any given topic you can find many blog posts or forum posts of various length, and you have to read through a lot of them before you can distill the essence, so to speak. Many articles make similar points, and I believe that every topic can be more or less comprehensively portrayed, so that it combines for example 20 posts and essays on "Art" into one chapter the length of let's say 5 essays. It's still longer than any single essay, but it's structured and presents all the various ways of thinking about the topic, preferrably without any significant bias.

lordcloudx >> I like the idea, we can collect "chapter names", although I would assume that many chapters would have to be linked to other chapters, at least in theory. Hopefully we don't get stuck in terminology, I tried to expand on your list with some even broader categories. I think those things can even be moved around, "Vision" can just as easily go under "Design and Expression", or referenced in that section. I don't think it makes sense to get tied up with it at this point though.

Chapter list:

- [Personal involvement]: Vision / Satisfaction / Self-expression / Sentimental value
- [Design and Expression]: Characters / Plot / Storytelling / Art / Visuals / Music

- [Production & Team]: Commercial / Free / Money / Single person / Team
- [Motivation]: Procrastination / Writer's block / Failed projects

- [Perception]: Critique / Opinions / Audience
- [Success & Metrics]: Popularity / Word Count / Art quality / Downloads / Acclaim / Fan works

I think a good way to approach this would be like you would some university paper, at least from the formal side. Definitions, structure etc. Also, it would be good to have an editor (or two), or even chapter-responsible people. Plus, just collecting interesting views and articles into a pool of resources would be good.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:57:50 pm by mikey »

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 01:56:05 pm »
Oh, that sounds like a really interesting idea. Could be fun and interesting to give a try at least, even if in the end, it doesn't turn out as hoped.

Actually I don't feel I'm very good at putting out my opinions and feelings in words like that... and as such I often don't have as much insight to give in those threads as some of you other guys do. But I'd still like to give this book a shot and contribute something. Guess it helps that there will be others looking things over and catching any nonsense ;)