Author Topic: Official Teacup Event Planning and Suggestions Thread  (Read 8656 times)

Hime

• of Lux Visual Novels
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lux Visual Novels Blog
    • Email
Official Teacup Event Planning and Suggestions Thread
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:51:23 pm »
As everyone here probably knows, the first Teacup Visual Novel Festival was held this April with 12 event-specific visual novels released. From now on, the event shall be held annually with this thread including planning and suggestions for the 2011 festival, accompanied by some general info.

What is the festival about?
Celebrating the fine medium of visual novels and the process of making them. This is done by releasing visual novels, one per day, starting on the first day of the specified month, which was April in 2010.

What are the restrictions?
You must report your participation in advance and release according to instructions at the time given to you. If you wish to cancel your participation for reason or another, please report several days in advance. The piece must follow the general release guidelines. There is no competition and no time limit: you can start working on your visual novel today and release it during the festival held a few years after, if you please.

Who can join?
Every Teacup member who loves visual novels and makes them - so you can do it, too!

Why should I participate?
It's fun, and people may be more likely to read your visual novel. Setting a deadline that other people know as well can act as a motivator. This is a community event, and prior to this year's festival, people were in very high spirits. It was truly a celebration for those who participated.

How about next year?
You tell us! For now, admins agree that April is not a good month, because it is too close to Nanoreno, another visual novel event which many people like to take part in. We have been thinking about late summer or early autumn for 2011 – what do you think? What did you like this year? What could have been done better? Do you have any neat ideas for next year? Discuss!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 07:34:00 pm by lordcloudx »
A piece of eternal wisdom: "Viking-chan isn't a viking-chan without her beard!"
Click here for the Lux Visual Novels blog!

mikey

• View Profile
Re: Planning and suggestions: The Teacup Visual Novel Festival 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:21:12 pm »
First, I have to say I love NaNoRenO. I like the concept, I like the non-bureaucratic approach it has on the LSF, and truth be told, there can only be one NaNoRenO. I participated twice, and both times it's been great. However, it's also very clear (now) that NaNoRenO is not the sole point (heart and soul) of LSF, because LSF is more than that. And that's not meant negatively.

This brings me to the Teacup. And the VN festival 2010 that ended a few months ago. I loved the quantity of games, truth be told I didn't expect so many. At the same time though, it does seem, mostly because of the more obscure nature of the Teacup, that beside this, and a few nice articles, there isn't a lot going on.

Part of this is of course due to the fact that there are just too little active people, but that's not to overlook the other part which is that people who work don't chat away on forums all that much. Which is something I like and in my current situation am really comfortable with. And also, I like contributing to discussions here, and as I realized I am only really contributing here now.

But there is a problem. Unlike LSF for which NaNoRenO isn't the cornerstone of existence (rather, it's a tradition, which is similar, but not quite the same), I do think that for the Teacup, creative events such as the VN festival are actually necessary - in the way that we should not avoid them, but actually make them the focus, the heart and soul, if you will.

This is why I'm not entirely sure about the VN festival as a traditional, annual event. I would say that for the Teacup the way it is now, the creative events should be continuous. One ends, there is a break of a month or two, and then something new comes along. Perhaps over time small traditions will develop when people will grow to like a particular challenge / creativity format, but I'd rather it develop over time, by itself, and not be set after just one event.

The way this would practically make sense for me would be that the VN Festival 2010 was basically the first major event (in fact, the completed works section has a sticky called "community event releases", which is very fitting to this concept). I would also see the current Writing Workshop as the second event. So I'd focus the energy there, and once that's done, start something new. Sure, the Writing Workshop outcome would not be posted in the completed works section (not a VN), but it can still be classified as an all-community event.

My point is, it shouldn't be too rigid - at this point the Teacup's motto should be all about creating things. And by that I mean of course mostly VNs, but even stories or pictures that are related. It can be a nice break for a VN maker to just have a writing event. And I know it's pushing it a bit, but maybe just think about the idea - Teacup being more of an event-based community. I know this doesn't necessarily negate the idea of having a recurring VN creation event, but starting with one event, followed by another and then see whether there will be a pattern over time is the best way, and can really help form a distinctive nature of the Teacup.

Anyway, I do realize I am relatively busy at the moment, so all I can do is philosophise (talk, rather than participate), and also that I rarely visit the IRC, so it's difficult to judge how the situation is in reality. So that's the two grains of salt with which to take the above comments.

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 04:27:20 am »
I like your point. Even if the Teacup Festival returns, it would be a good idea with more relaxed events in between. Of course I also really liked the events so far, even if there only were two :P

sake-bento

• Suiheisen
    • View Profile
    • sakevisual
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 06:18:50 am »
Watch me come into this thread incredibly late. Ha.

Anyway, I really did enjoy the Festival. I used to run something similar in another art community. It was an advent calendar that counted down the days until Christmas with a new art piece each day of advent. I'd love to take part in the next festival or event, given enough forewarning. I suggest that we have somewhat more rigid guidelines and a lot more publicity for these events, though. If I weren't already a member of Teacup, I wouldn't have known about the Festival.

Thinking of Teacup as an event based community, it might be nice to issue challenges/contests occasionally. It doesn't necessarily have to be VN making. It could be a challenge to make a CC sprite or piece or musical piece as a contribution to the community. And even though I say "contest," it doesn't necessarily have to be. It just makes it sound cool. >.>

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 02:15:46 pm »
Event #2 is in fact the "Writing Workshop", though it has been stagnating for almost 2 months now. Perhaps it is a good idea to just hibernate it and think of Event #3. And/Or rename the topic to Planning and suggestions: The Teacup events. I think it's a good time to move to the next event.

As for publicity for Teacup events, personally I like the quiet nature of them. I'd even say they should be designed to make use of the strengths of an extremely small community (which in fact acts more like a group of like-minded people than a community). Event #1 showed the strengths of the individual approach and Event #2 in which (almost) everyone participated showed the community in a role similar to that of a single dev team.

And it's also perhaps to soon to actively reach out to too many new people who don't know Teacup until a few smaller events have taken place that kind of define what Teacup will stand for. Because if it's about getting people interested in VN making, LSF is a much better place to organize an event. I don't feel as if Teacup even needs to be an alternative to LSF in this aspect, but it kind of naturally invites that thought because there is a public forum.

Anyway, I'm quite positive that one of those events will set something in motion that will define what the Teacup really is. I do like the current idea to support people in finishing the projects they want to do. But who knows, maybe that's also not quite true and the point is somewhere else. Perhaps it's about working with people you like, perhaps it's about having a retreat where you can test concepts, or perhaps Teacup will in fact end up being a development group.

I was thinking about this when I was looking at the Completed Games section, which is structured after LSF and other communities focused on releases and comments. With pretty much zero comments it almost feels pointless - on the other hands the games themselves feel very integral to the Teacup. There is no WIP section as such and it makes a lot of sense because the community is so small and more importantly, the projects being released don't really require a WIP section.

Anyway, it's interesting to think about it. Bottom line - I would start with ideas for Event #3, and if nothing unexpected happens, I promise I will participate.

----
Edit: Here are some thoughts for Event #3, including bad "tea" puns.

A: "Tea-surrection": share a project that you never made and explain why (screenshots, concepts). Then, by consensus everyone who submitted their project descriptions participates in the realization of a short version of a project that gets selected.

B: "Freshly Brewed Tea-m": in teams of just 2 people work on a mini-VN with someone you have never worked with or assume a non-traditional role (like I would draw) in a project.

C: "Li-tea-rature" make a VN version of a short literary work that is now public domain. This would be a project for everyone together
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 06:13:57 pm by mikey »

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 06:33:00 pm »
(Never mind being late Sake :) Input is still interesting)

I like those event ideas. And yes, we should have a new one soon - we don't necessarily have to wait for the writing workshop to finish before planning the next one after all.

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2010, 01:32:32 pm »
I realize I will break the 12-day no-post streak, but just to ask - what's next in terms of Event #4? Any suggestions, ideas?

One option would be simply to have the "VN Festival 2011", since I assume we can't realistically finish before 2011 unless it's a really tiny event.

Or, think of something else. Either in the form of a challenge, or something collaborative. I will think of something myself as well, this is just to start the discussion.

(also, I would suggest to rename this topic to "Planning and suggestions: Teacup events", since the topic is now broader, as we also discussed Event #3 here.)

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 04:20:53 pm »
While one option would be the next VN Festival, there were also talks of making the next event a look back at the writing workshop where the participants would turn the finished story into a VN. Are people still up for that idea? Of course we would have to work on some guidelines of how that would work. Along with the fact that such an event isn't very open to new people who want to take part...

Hime

• of Lux Visual Novels
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lux Visual Novels Blog
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 07:20:54 pm »
Along with the fact that such an event isn't very open to new people who want to take part...
Not neccessarily. While getting new writers for the project isn't probably going to happen anytime soon, we're missing artists, programmers, musicians and so on, positions that could be filled by any willing and dedicated individual.

I think this could work for the next community event. However, right now everyone is probably busy with stuff they have to do before Christmas, so I'd suggest we delay the event until January.
A piece of eternal wisdom: "Viking-chan isn't a viking-chan without her beard!"
Click here for the Lux Visual Novels blog!

mikey

• View Profile
Re: Official Teacup Event Planning and Suggestions Thread
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 08:09:20 pm »
I like the idea of revisiting Event #2 and have different takes on the story, combining it in a sort of anthology (if I understood the idea correctly). I'd definitely have ideas on how to put my "spin" on the story or presentation.

Before that is decided though, I would have an alternative idea, for consideration. So far the events have been largely autonomous creation experiences, maybe in very small teams (and the Event #2 revisit would also be largely singular experience, even though we'd present the stories together) - however I am kind of interested in trying to work on a single project collaboratively, to bring that kind of spirit to it. The Event #2 revisit we could make as a later event in that case, as I do like the idea a lot - but I feel like right now, I'd like being a part of something that people make together from the ground up. It's just a mood I am in right now, I guess, but it is something I feel was missing to date from Teacup events, so that's why I am suggesting it.

Anyway, this is for your consideration. As for a role in the project, I would like to volunteer for a kind of a producer role - be it ultimately the Event #2 revisit, or a new collaborative project. The creative aspect I would leave to others. But I think some organization is always good, so I think I could contribute in this way.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 05:34:40 am by lordcloudx »

lordcloudx

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 05:35:20 am »
First of all, I'm going to take a neutral stance regarding mikey's proposals, meaning, I'm fine with either.

While we're at it, I think it's also a good time to discuss the Teacup VN Festival 2011. I'm in favor of keeping the festival within the month of April regardless of any perceived associations. I think the festival has really grown into its own and is, in my opinion, the most prominent event of The Teacup to date.

Also, there's no reason why we can't start planning for the VN festival simultaneously with other events. The initial plan for the festival was to have a daily flood of games for the month of April, there's no reason at all why we can't start accepting entries now. I'm also in favor of keeping the format from the previous festival. All entries must be submitted or at least in an near-complete status before the month of April so that we can plan the order of releases.

btw the edit on mikey's post is me accidentally modifying it instead of hitting the reply button :P

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 09:14:23 am »
Quote from: lordcloudx
Also, there's no reason why we can't start planning for the VN festival simultaneously with other events. The initial plan for the festival was to have a daily flood of games for the month of April, there's no reason at all why we can't start accepting entries now.
Deep breath and... I will have to oppose the idea of a parallel event or parallel organization of the VN Festival (which would make it Event #5, if I think about it) with Event #4 (either the "anthology" or the "collaboration"). It's not that it's not possible, it's just that I don't think it's worth the stress that it will create. If we assume we have December, January, February and March to carry out 2 events, with the holiday season nearing for many people as well as their other parallel engagements (primary projects), and the fact that Event #4 whatever it ends up being will probably not be a negligible commitment, and that the VN Festival also has demands of its own (quantitative), it seems to me that 4 months is a very short time.

With my estimations (based on Hime's January start suggestion), in the most light concept we would probably end Event #4 somewehere around March (I don't think it can be done in less than 2 months, realistically). Which would almost be the deadline for the VN Festival projects. Plus, I think a pause between events is a good idea - one month at the very least, to get some breathing room. I think having the VN festival as Event #5 hardline in April, plus working in parallel on Event #4 would be a very challenging task. I do look mostly at my own schedules, I have to say, but executing 2 events in 4 months during a holiday season is putting quite a lot on our plates.

My proposal would therefore be not to have the rigid April deadline for the VN Festival, but instead hold it sometime in the spring or later (as Event #5 or #6). So yeah, those are my thoughts - I just think that if we're doing event after event, a rigid date for one of the events is kind of contrary to the flexibility and flow of the whole idea. It doesn't mean there can't be "popular formats" like the flood of games of a VN festival or whatever else develops that we will want to repeat from time to time, even yearly. I'm also not opposing the rigidity of a deadline for submission of games (because the deadline is essential for the subsequent daily releases), I'm just opposing the rigidity of having it in April every year.

lordcloudx

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 02:04:54 pm »
Sorry but, I don't really see any conflict. The planning and organization of the Teacup VN Festival could be left in the hands of one person. In fact, I'd be willing to take up that task. All the guidelines for the festival itself are already in place, anyway, so there's really nothing left to do except to accept entries.

Also, the festival doesn't exclude any current WIP VNs which are near completion. There's no set start date for working on the entries. The only thing that needs to be done is to have any projects you may already have started on or plan to start on, listed for entry into the event, so it could also act as a very long deadline for any WIP projects you may already have started on.

I'd like to personally keep it in April to maintain what I perceive to be its prestige compared to other Teacup events.

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 05:28:51 pm »
Hmm, I can see the flagship status of the VN festival, too - so perhaps we could make the VN festival the official Event #4. This way there are 4 months left, it's a comfortable deadline and there is a good chance for solid participation.

We could make the next event (the collaborative event or the Event 2 revisit) in May. I know it's technically possible to do two events simultaneously, but... I just don't have a good feeling about it, I think the time is a bit too short for that to make both events really count.

And with that, I think that's it for my no-parallel-events campaign :). In any case, I'll support whatever we finally agree on as good as I can.

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 05:50:30 pm »
So the 4th event is over and to continue, we could start planning Event #5. So here are some of my thoughts:

I was thinking of some sort of an "until the end of year" challenge, where there could be some kind of a challenge that moves your project forward in some way. We could also have a concept that ends up in the creation of new VNs (like the last 2 events). Also, there is the option of taking the Event #2 script and turning it into a VN. Another thought I had (before) was converting a piece of public domain literature into a VN, the "Litearature" challenge.

Anyway, maybe you will have some ideas as well. As I mentioned in the Tea Lounge, I won't be making original VNs anymore, but I can participate on someone's project or direct a production etc. Within reason, of course, but that goes for many people who have some kind of a large project in the making.