login

Author Topic: What do you enjoy the most?  (Read 5255 times)

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
What do you enjoy the most?
« on: May 31, 2010, 08:40:54 am »
This is not a question of what you necessarily do the best in the process of making your visual novel, but what part of the creation do you enjoy the most?

I usually present myself as an artist, and I love illustrating stories (when it goes well) and thinking of what I can do to improve my projects through art. This is probably also what I do best. But I think that the part I get the most enjoyment through is the writing of the story itself.

Writing is difficult, but it is something I have always done like with drawing. And I find that there is something very satisfying and enjoyable in having finished writing a part in a story that you feel turned out well, and putting your feelings into words when trying to describe the happenings.
(Well, of course writing has its bad moments like with everything else. It’s not easy at all.)

I have no idea whether my writing is any good… especially in a 2nd language like English. I am confident that it is not awful, but it is most likely no literary masterpiece either :P While my art is lacking as well, I have more confidence in making something acceptable for other people in that department.
But I still love writing… so I hope that one day I will be able to release stories that people will enjoy reading as well.

What about you?

number473

• View Profile
    • sattotw
    • Email
Re: What do you enjoy the most?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:36:54 pm »
I can't say that there's one part that I like especially more than another. For me, the writing comes a bit easier than the drawing, so it's more ordinary doing it, generally. It's especially fun when a section has come together nicely, though. It's the same with programming. When I manage to write a tricky piece of code successfully, it gives me a definite feeling of accomplishment, and it's fun to work on it, too. With the drawing, it's only fun when it's going well. That's really inconsistent for me, given my skill level ^^;.

But I would say that each individual part and also creating vns as a whole is fun.

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 08:02:52 pm »
what part of the creation do you enjoy the most?
Why it's the part where I imagine how it all will look when it's done :)  But of course technically that's not creating.

The actual creative part, that's also a trick question, if you will. You can only really judge whether you "enjoyed" something once you've finished the activity. When you're "immersed" or however your word for it might be, you just create (write, draw, compose...) without being aware of the fact that you're enjoying it. It's only after you snap out of the creative moment and see what you've done that you can judge that moment - "that was a great writing session", for example. It means you retrospectively say you enjoyed it.

Anyway, if I had to choose one thing that I enjoy the most, it's the "putting it all together" part, where I usually work with multiple elements together and try to match them or create a specific harmony - you can also call it directing. That's the most enjoyable part for me, and also the most creative.

The most fulfilling part (which is somewhat different) would still be writing though. And I say this because sometimes I just want fulfillment, and don't really care whether the road to that fulfillment is enjoyable or not. In other words, creating can feel non-enjoyable, but it doesn't mean the result won't be fulfilling. Therefore that really great feeling you get when you finally have something formulated (or in a story) on paper, its existence can make you happy even though its creation wasn't enjoyable.

lordcloudx

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 03:10:17 am »
Well, after considering mikey's post, I'd say that putting everything together and adding finishing touches to the raw product is the most enjoyable part for me. (choosing the music, adding subtle special effects, hiding cryptic messages etc. :D). Playing the director in those few days/weeks before release day is both fulfilling and enjoyable.

While I consider myself a writer, primarily, I just realized that it's because this is the easiest part for me to do. I've been writing stories since before I hit 1st grade and been in various on-the-spot writing competitions where we were given 2-3 hours to create a 1500-2000 word story. I guess this also accounts for my preference for short, direct pieces rather than long, long epics. I feel that the short story should never be considered inferior to the novel based on length or amount of information fed to the reader.... but, this is already beside the point. Writing is enjoyable, but lacks challenge for me, since I know I can always get things done in the end anyway.

As for art, I don't really enjoy drawing or making backgrounds that much. There's just too many extra steps involved in producing passable digital art and it seems everyone is just dying to give you "helpful critique." In my case, I'd have to sketch, scan in, find out that it looks terribly disproportionate after scanning, create lineart, add color, add shadows, add a 2nd layer of shadows, add highlights etc. etc. It's a fulfilling, but not very enjoyable task for me.

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 06:38:02 am »
When I first wrote my post, I was also tempted to write ”planning and thinking of the awesome end product”, but then thought it might sound like I wasn’t being productive at all xD Besides, I’m sure that is the same for everyone, since that’s why we start creating in the first place, right? *Starts dreaming*

Hmm putting things together, huh? I think I’m a little different there. When the different parts are already pretty much done (like writing, art assets, music and such) I’d honestly just like for things to be over and playable. Seeing it coming to life is satisfying of course, but it’s also quite a bit of grunt work in my eyes... maybe I’m just lazy and impatient. It also helps that I write my scripts in other places than the engine itself (like renpy) and inserting everything… ugh.

Sometimes I do think I enjoy the creative process itself though. It’s just really rare – when I’m really “into it” when writing a short draft or doing a sketch. Doesn’t happen if I’m struggling with the piece though, as it usually is :P in that case the “enjoyment” only comes afterwards, as you say. This is why deadline work is such a pain… you can only like it after it’s done!

Ah, creativity is so fickle sometimes... :P

Hime

• of Lux Visual Novels
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lux Visual Novels Blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 10:50:39 am »
I'll go from bad to good: the only big thing I really dislike about making visual novels is dealing with coding/engines. It's like no available engine feels right enough - Ren'Py is functional but frigid and ugly, Novelty flexible but lacks many essential features - and since I'm no programmer, I just have to settle for something. It is a choice between many options none of which really suit the needs of my stories.

The best part, on the other hand, is when you have just put everything together and you can finally see how your visual novel looks as an entity. Seeing the whole thing actually "done" (as in playable, not as in the final edit) just gives me this huge rush of good feelings that are very hard to compete with. Every time I've experienced this, the actual thing has looked better than it ever did in my imagination, too.
A piece of eternal wisdom: "Viking-chan isn't a viking-chan without her beard!"
Click here for the Lux Visual Novels blog!

MoonlightBomber

• View Profile
    • Moonlight Bomber's Chronicles Mk. II
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 10:35:44 pm »
As a computer science graduate with writing as a hobby, I can say that writing is the most enjoyable part of creating a visual novel, with programming being the second and creating graphics the third. Despite the much-annoying writer's block, I personally find writing to be enjoyable since I get to mix and match ideas that come from everywhere. Programming is mostly a technical endeavor, and UI's are the best I can do when it comes to graphics.

Midnighticequeen

• Treat others the way you would like to be treated
    • View Profile
    • My Creative Abyss
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 08:10:08 pm »
For me the best part would be when all my writing, editing, note taking, and sketches come together and I finally produced my image, character, or story exactly how I wanted it, or even better than I imagined. No one wants there hard work to go to waste after all. It's the end result that makes the struggle worthwhile to me.
The only thing that can stop you from achieving your goal is you. You only live once, there's no point living that life afraid of your own greatness

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 08:39:40 pm »
[...] and I finally produced my image, character, or story exactly how I wanted it, or even better than I imagined [...] No one wants there hard work to go to waste after all. It's the end result that makes the struggle worthwhile to me.
I always feel a bit empty, like I "lost" the project, and for a brief time it feels really strange - being used to think about the project all the time, I always realize how much I was engaged with it. I always think I will feel great after a project is done, but in fact I always feel exhausted and lost. The happiness of the accomplishment comes, of course, but that takes a bit of time.

lvuer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 01:09:56 am »
The part I enjoy most is the designing process. I mean designing characters and things like that... What is his/her personality, background, cloth, etc etc.

sake-bento

• Suiheisen
    • View Profile
    • sakevisual
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2010, 06:33:26 am »
I have the most fun building the framework. I like customizing the GUI, putting in special stuff like a stat or notes button, designing the layout, and all the extra little bits of customization that the game will be built into.

I don't like actually making the graphics for the GUI, though. That always takes a lot of time and they come out not as pretty as I want them to be. D:

anything