login

Author Topic: BTW #10 - Visual Novel Endings - open discussion thread  (Read 6153 times)

Ruler

• Administrator
    • View Profile
BTW #10 - Visual Novel Endings - open discussion thread
« on: April 22, 2010, 02:56:30 am »
Now that we've decided to stop with the monthly releases of BTW, we're planning to make the last volume on the theme "Visual Novel Endings"

Release Date: TBA sometime in December 2010
Please use this thread to ask questions or make suggestions for this volume.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:54:13 pm by lordcloudx »
If you have something to say about the forum rules, please contact one of our administrators:
denzil - F.I.A - Hime - lordcloudx - Vatina

lvuer

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: BTW #10 - Visual Novel Developers - open discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 08:04:28 am »
How about an interview with Sake-bento, especially about the recent released VN, Jisei.

lordcloudx

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 02:36:55 pm »
Ugh... sorry. I forgot to modify this one. BTW #10 will basically be the last edition. The topic will be "Visual Novel Endings." contributions are welcome at this point.

lordcloudx

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 02:52:46 pm »
BTW people, your attention please. Your most esteemed editor-in-chief... lolz, I kid. But anyway, I have a little question for everyone. I'm thinking of starting the layout for the zine pretty soon. Before I do that, I'd like some input. I'm thinking of using the same colors and the same layout for each article in the zine. Probably something like red and white etc. I'd like to ask for your opinions on this. Do you think it would be a good idea? I can make a mock up image of what I mean if it's not clear.

mikey

• View Profile
Re: BTW #10 - Visual Novel Endings - open discussion thread
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 05:51:11 pm »
A mock up would be nice. Though it seems odd to change the "every page for itself" layout to a unified design in the last issue. It was what I kind of liked about the design - the randomness of the visuals. Then again, it's the last issue and perhaps this is a way of making it feel a little bit more special.  :)

lordcloudx

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 04:02:54 pm »
Well, here it is:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hime

• of Lux Visual Novels
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lux Visual Novels Blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 07:19:32 pm »
Well, here it is:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I like the minimalistic approach, but the article text should be easy to read, and small, black text on a grey background isn't exactly ideal for that. I'd recommend switching the colours so that the outer regions have smaller contrast between the text and the background than the inner ones. You could also experiment with light-on-dark text for the article text, and possibly larger spacing between the lines.
A piece of eternal wisdom: "Viking-chan isn't a viking-chan without her beard!"
Click here for the Lux Visual Novels blog!

lordcloudx

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 07:35:13 pm »
@Hime: noted. These are just photoshopped images, btw. These aren't actual implementations of the layout yet.

Some articles would look like this:
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/6749/btwmockup.jpg

While some would look like this:
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/9733/btwmockup1.jpg

We can also add other variations based on the author's specifications.

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 08:49:42 pm »
This is definitely a more "professional" or "stylish" design than the random fonts, colors and pictures of the previous issues. And I don't know if I really like that. It's not that it's not nice-looking, it's that I think the previous non-uniformity gave BTW much more personality. This looks a bit sterile, if I'm honest, it reminds me of the layout of a scientific journal of sorts.

This is not to say that the design of (the last) BTW should be like that of a glossy magazine or littered with "look at me, read me" eye catchers. That's too calculated. BTW has always had something special in the design. I don't know if I should call it careless, or worry-free or something else. But there seemed to be a certain relaxed attitude about it. Just put something together that kind of looks okay, put a picture here, color this and highlight that - done.

So yeah, I would probably still go with an individual page style for each article, without any consistency. But as I said before, a unified design isn't harmful or anything, after all, it is the last issue, so if you feel strongly about it, I'm sure I will grow to like it quickly.

DaFool

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 05:20:22 am »
"Almost seems like LSF is moving towards peer-review driven games... I highly disapprove."

from http://twitter.com/violent_cloud

Please make that into an essay.

(mikey:  AF, where? (I'm expecting my Christmas build!)  PM me thx)

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 08:39:37 am »
I don't think going towards a more 'special' and exclusive look for the final issue is a bad idea. Going with a uniform style throughout could still make it look pleasant.

I think Cloud mentioned the possibility of using different colour backgrounds for text rather than only the grey? Maybe some light colours would look good this way. Each article with a different theme that follows the general style rules.

lordcloudx

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 02:54:45 pm »
@DaFool: Heh, I'll consider it. I actually haven't written my article yet because I can't think of any inspiring topics.

@Vatina: Yes, that's what I was thinking. Each article could still retain its individuality by playing around with the colors as well as having a unique header image.

@mikey: I don't really feel that strongly about it, but I do think it's a good idea for purposes of readability.

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 03:26:41 pm »
@lordcloudx: I'm officially convinced now  :),  so... I'd say let's go ahead with the new design!

lordcloudx

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 02:18:58 am »
@mikey: Acknowledged. I'll have a working template ready by today.

anything