login

Author Topic: A Million Promises - The Teacup VN Festival 2010 Day 1  (Read 8863 times)

Hime

• of Lux Visual Novels
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lux Visual Novels Blog
    • Email
A Million Promises - The Teacup VN Festival 2010 Day 1
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:32:23 am »

Genre: ? ? ?
Description:
Quote from: DawnKisa
A Million Promises is a visual novel that attempts to test the limits of the so-called "suspension of disbelief." Visual novel readers will witness this journey through the eyes of the young man, Takeru Harukaze and his life in high school.
Takeru and his clique are composed of teenagers with archetypal personalities. A Million Promises is a story about coming-of-age, about acceptance, about failure, and about holding on to the things that are really important in this fragile existence we all live in.
Perhaps, someday, when the developers have moved on to better, more professional works, they will look back on this game and remember...
"April 1st. We promised. We would never forget!"
Screenshots:

Download:
Multiplatform
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:41:35 pm by Hime »
A piece of eternal wisdom: "Viking-chan isn't a viking-chan without her beard!"
Click here for the Lux Visual Novels blog!

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
Re: A Million Promises - The Teacup VN Festival 2010 Day 1
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 04:36:34 pm »
Well... that was definitely interesting. A pretty surreal read :P

Spoiler for Hiden:
It was fun to read, even if you could feel that something unpleasant was coming up. Awww....

Nice job!

number473

• View Profile
    • sattotw
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 07:17:25 am »
It was fun, but
Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't like the ending. To me it would have been fine if the whole thing had just been nonsense.
And on the preview picture, because of the trees in the background, it looked to me as if it was a witch's hat, rather than a Viking hat so I was surprised >_<

Hime

• of Lux Visual Novels
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lux Visual Novels Blog
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 09:33:08 am »
Thanks for the comments so far! :) We really appreciate it, and I will forward them to the writer as well.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I didn't like the ending. To me it would have been fine if the whole thing had just been nonsense.
That was actually our original intention, but when we worked on it Kisa thought
Spoiler for Hiden:
the current, dramatic twist would be fun to add. It also wrapped the story up better than any other way we thought of, and she loves twists that are hard to predict. So we did it. The hard to predict part might make it a bit surreal for a reader, I can imagine. ^^;

By the way, there are a lot of references to other visual novels and such in the game. Some of these are just intentional uses of tropes, but there are a few straight quotes used as lines, too. I would be interested in how many people who played this noticed.

number473

• View Profile
    • sattotw
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 01:21:49 pm »
I noticed that they were there, and I also noticed that I wasn't getting very many of them. That's my fault for being inexperience though ^^;
There were a lot of good quotes, whether they come from other games or not I couldn't always tell. Do the 200 million photoreceptors and the contemporary, enlightened times come from somewhere?

Spoiler for Hiden:
The hard to predict part might make it a bit surreal for a reader, I can imagine. ^^;
Spoiler for 'Spoilers!':
I wouldn't say it was hard to predict, as soon as it seemed that there was something wrong, and I had an inkling from when it was first mentioned, I figured the cancer would end up being serious. I felt like he was not being so much hallucinatory, as imaginative, which is why I was dissatisfied with the insanity brought on by brain tumor resolution.

Hime

• of Lux Visual Novels
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lux Visual Novels Blog
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 06:18:48 pm »
I had a little talk with Kisa so I can answer the questions and comments.
I noticed that they were there, and I also noticed that I wasn't getting very many of them. That's my fault for being inexperience though ^^;
There were a lot of good quotes, whether they come from other games or not I couldn't always tell. Do the 200 million photoreceptors and the contemporary, enlightened times come from somewhere?
The photoreceptors thing is not a straight quote, but it is based on some phrase in Cross Channel, a visual novel which had a lot of influence on this work. As for the latter, I do not think it came from anywhere but it might have. In the end there were so many references we could not remember all of them ourselves.
Spoiler for 'Spoilers!':
I wouldn't say it was hard to predict, as soon as it seemed that there was something wrong, and I had an inkling from when it was first mentioned, I figured the cancer would end up being serious. I felt like he was not being so much hallucinatory, as imaginative, which is why I was dissatisfied with the insanity brought on by brain tumor resolution.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah, it was foreshadowed a bit. We wanted it to be surprising, but not absurd or cheap, and I hope that is how it came across.

Kisa says Takeru should not be considered insane - his delusions are more of an intentional defense mechanism, a reality he wants to see and believe instead of the one where he is fatally sick. So imaginative could be a good word to describe it actually.

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:05:17 am »
Spoiler for Hiden:
Yeah, it was foreshadowed a bit. We wanted it to be surprising, but not absurd or cheap, and I hope that is how it came across.

Kisa says Takeru should not be considered insane - his delusions are more of an intentional defense mechanism, a reality he wants to see and believe instead of the one where he is fatally sick. So imaginative could be a good word to describe it actually.

Spoiler for Hiden:
That was how I understood it too, from how he acted in the silly parts, and what he said during the ending. I felt like he was building up something to try and make it all better for himself and others.

And yeah, I saw it coming as well... especially when those "interference" parts cmae more often. It was a good effect though, made all the silliness a little eerie as you knew the end was coming :P

anything