Author Topic: Narcissu Side 2nd English (May contain spoilers)  (Read 5226 times)

lordcloudx

Narcissu Side 2nd English (May contain spoilers)
« on: April 05, 2010, 04:40:41 pm »
Now that the full English translation has been released, I thought I'd make a discussion thread about this beautiful VN that captivated me from start to finish. Post your thoughts/comment/points for discussion on Narcissu side 2nd here.

Downloads for the game are available at its official English site here:
http://www.neechin.net/narcissu/

I personally loved this piece from start to finish (including the epilogue after reading through both Side 2nd and Narcissu in the English localization). First of all, all the characters were simply lovely in their own ways.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I liked Chihiro for being who she was, what one might call the epitome of a goody-goody girl without being over-exaggerated. She does say some things that border on being jealous or mean at times in her short conversations with Setsumi, but never goes beyond that.

Yuka was a really great friend to Himeko. I loved the scene in Himeko's chapters where they take that last ride in her car together and how it connects with their final parting sometime in chapter 5 or 6.

Setsumi was a great character too, being the narrator of side 2nd's story. The french fries bit actually had me crying near the end when Himeko tells her to just learn to love them if she didn't want to tell her mother that she actually hates them. Indirectly, Himeko had said "If you must continue to lie about it, then turn it into the truth."

Himeko, I believe, was the true main protagonist of Side 2nd. The story basically revolves around her and Setsumi, but it was always Himeko at the story's driver's seat, which is how it should be given her personality and the fact that she's much older than Setsumi despite being the 7F resident. In any other story,  I might have complained about the bit with the 8 year old kid that she worked with when she was still a helper who seemed to be the reason for her straying away from the Catholic faith, as being "tacked on," however, it just seemed to work well for side 2nd's story, that I can't truly say that. Sure, it came a bit late just as side 2nd's main story was nearing its conclusion, but I just felt that it fell into place beautifully.

Personally, I enjoyed reading this story from start to finish on auto-mode. It felt like watching a really, really good tragic movie. The voices were spot-on. The translations by Agilis and Haeleth were both of excellent quality, though I prefer Agilis' translation for aesthetic reasons.

Despite being a bit depressing due to the tragic fate of the characters, Side 2nd actually felt uplifting. Everyone scored their own little victories in the end. Setsumi finally came out and told her mother about Himeko and found acceptance; Himeko rediscovered her faith after a long estrangement and crossed off the 10 things on her list... or was it just 9, I'll have to reread the part where they climb Mt. Fuji to be sure; Yuka got to see her best friend off one last time; and six years later, Setsumi succeeded in dying in a place other than 7F despite being a resident there.

The epilogue also brings a good closure to everything. The rules are finally passed down to someone who wasn't from 7F.

I don't blame Setsumi for committing suicide. It just fit her personality well. It was a "cool" way to die. I don't blame Himeko for not committing blasphemy as she had originally planned, it just wouldn't be right after all "she didn't live such a pathetic life."

The music was also an integral part of the whole experience. "Narcissu" (Side 2nd's vocal song) just puts me on the verge of tears every time I hear it even though I barely understand even half of the lyrics.

Beautiful, beautiful story about so many things that I feel I might have missed out on some of them.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:01:37 am by Ruler »

mikey

• View Profile
Re: Narcissu Side 2nd English (May contain spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 03:48:20 pm »
With Narcissu 2, I have a problem, and it appears very early - I noticed it in the demo and even asked whether it was indeed correctly translated - anyway, it's no spoiler, so - at the beginning, a girl describes her situation, and goes on to say that her little hands look so and so. (or a similar phrase)

My problem is with saying "my little hands". No child refers to their hands as little, because they are just "hands" to them. You do this as a third person, to perhaps invoke compassion, or a sense of wanting to protect the child - and a third person describing someone else's hands as little would be fine.

But it's her own words, and for me, this is the equivalent of breaking the 4th wall - I can instantly feel the intention of the writer to try to get me to feel some sort of compassion for the character. The intention to get compassion out of me is fine, but this way is somehow not in my accepted writing codex. It's one of those little things that can break everything - like when for some people it's very important to call before visiting. Or to say thank you after a dinner. It's not the end of the world if you don't, but it feels rude, insulting, if you're valuing those particular things. And I have had this literary nitpick since I was a teenager (a few short stories I read at that time).

Anyway, this means no Narcissu 2 for me.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:52:06 pm by mikey »

lordcloudx

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 11:16:18 pm »
mikey: Interesting. I never noticed that line you were talking about myself. (though, it might still be there.) I also wonder if it's actually quite normal to say it in Japanese.

That said, it brings up one point that people might dislike about side 2nd

Spoiler for Hiden:
In the later chapters, there's a side story about a little girl from 7F who used to be under Himeko's care. All her lines (the little girl) are voiced and might feel a bit too cheesy for some. Personally though, I'd already been sucked in too deeply into the whole experience by this time to mind it.

anomaly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 05:22:15 am »
With Narcissu 2, I have a problem, and it appears very early - I noticed it in the demo and even asked whether it was indeed correctly translated - anyway, it's no spoiler, so - at the beginning, a girl describes her situation, and goes on to say that her little hands look so and so. (or a similar phrase)

My problem is with saying "my little hands". No child refers to their hands as little, because they are just "hands" to them. You do this as a third person, to perhaps invoke compassion, or a sense of wanting to protect the child - and a third person describing someone else's hands as little would be fine.

But it's her own words, and for me, this is the equivalent of breaking the 4th wall - I can instantly feel the intention of the writer to try to get me to feel some sort of compassion for the character. The intention to get compassion out of me is fine, but this way is somehow not in my accepted writing codex. It's one of those little things that can break everything - like when for some people it's very important to call before visiting. Or to say thank you after a dinner. It's not the end of the world if you don't, but it feels rude, insulting, if you're valuing those particular things. And I have had this literary nitpick since I was a teenager (a few short stories I read at that time).

Anyway, this means no Narcissu 2 for me.
IMHO I think that's misjudging the work. It doesn't seem to be fair to dismiss the whole work for something like that for no good reason. That's from the demo you said? That's not even half the content. If it bothers you that much you can just skip past that line.
I strongly suggest you give it another try.