Author Topic: The last visual novel  (Read 2988 times)

mikey

• View Profile
The last visual novel
« on: August 05, 2011, 10:19:29 pm »
So Umeda Sky is released and I have a small announcement to make.

There will be only one more visual novel from me - called Aurora Fall - after which I will not release any more original works. I may still be up for producing something under the ATP Projects label, or whatever fits into the other categories, or make technical updates to existing releases. But as far as my personal original works are concerned, there will be no more VNs, except for Aurora Fall, which will be the last one.

It all has a definitive tone to it, but that's for good reason - this isn't something that I just decided yesterday. For years now, the works I consider original have had their "themes". At first in my early works, I intuitively incorporated those "themes" into the visual novels, because they were one of many "things I wanted to express". Like "loneliness" in Black Pencil. Or "love" in River Trap. After a while though, I realized there were less and less things which I felt I needed to express. And with the two 2011 festival games (Anthridercynantide and Umeda Sky) a "death" and a "luck" story were materialized, closing two themes (out of three) that still remained in my mind.

Now, there is only "beauty" left, and that's what the overall theme of Aurora Fall will be. I know it's the only one left, because while in the old days, I would have at least five or six themes "in the back of my head", where I thought "I need to do this sometime", and new ones would emerge every now and then, I have meanwhile done them all, and ever since a few years ago, no new ones came along. I finished creating those which still occupied my mind, and I am now left with only one, which is the subject of my last visual novel.

I could blame this on some burnout, or disinterest, but the truth is, it's not disinterest, and it's not burnout. It feels right and it feels really good not to be held hostage by things on your mind, things that will go away only if you materialize them. Based on this, and on the fact that I am not feeling guilty or frustrated, but rather empty and happy, I am faced with the facts and it's not even awkward for me to spell them out anymore - my need to creatively express myself has come to an end.

Setting aside the "never say never" phrase, that thing with no new themes emerging is probably the main reason why I can say with quite some certainty that I will not change my mind about stopping making original VNs. Again, I am not saying I won't stick around VNs, or even be involved in their creation somehow - but it was the original VNs that have been keeping me going, and I feel that once I stop being active on the kind of personal level that I am involved now with my original works, even if I will stay around, my reasons for being around will inevitably have to change. I may then be many things, but "creator" won't be one of them.

But that will all be a different story, provided it even happens. Aurora Fall isn't going to be finished for some time, but I do feel that now is a good time to say all this. For me, this is a kind of official statement on something I've been thinking about for, in fact, years now. And for those who care about things I do, well, I'd just like to let you know. There will only be one more visual novel.

But by now I think you understand that this isn't a slightly sad message about me retiring, it's in fact a happy message about the fact that I can actually see on the horizon that I will, with those 22 visual novels, be able to finish what I set out to do - at first instinctively, and later while being more and more aware of it. It's no less than a dream come true.

mikey

• View Profile
Re: The last visual novel
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:14:36 am »
This has been a long-time coming, but I finally found a good setup for a "blog". Enjoy!
http://aurorafall.wordpress.com