Author Topic: Umeda Sky - The Teacup VN Festival 2011 Day 6  (Read 3479 times)

mikey

• View Profile
Umeda Sky - The Teacup VN Festival 2011 Day 6
« on: August 05, 2011, 09:07:06 pm »

Genre: Slice-of-Life

Description:
A man who has lived his whole life in Japan resolves to bring change into his life by going to Europe, for a vacation.

Note: Umeda Sky cannot be finished. You should realize this at some point, so from there on whenever you feel like ending, just pause the game, go to the main menu and exit the program.

Screenshots:

Download: Windows

lordcloudx

Re: Umeda Sky - The Teacup VN Festival 2011 Day 6
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 04:37:45 pm »
First!
Heh, some internet retards are making a habit out of doing that nowadays. Posting "first" whenever they make the first reply/post on any thread.

Anyway, off-topic-ness aside, I finally took some time to read through Umeda Sky. For some reason, I liked this one more than Anthridercynantide, although the two feel so closely related that it's not really worth making a comparison.

I've noticed something in the way you write the more of your works I read and that is: your writings have a sort of hypnotic quality about them. The text is always simple, straightforward and bares all of the narrator's thoughts. Furthermore, in most of your works, there is no so-called "hook" or gimmick. Even with supernatural elements set in, the narrator always treats it in a kind of nonchalant manner, as if it's quite normal for things to be not normal. Anyway, back to Umeda Sky, this game just served as a confirmation as well as a reminder to me of the hypnotic quality of your text.

I started reading this and felt absolutely nothing for it (which is how I feel about the narrators for most of your games at the start, btw) but since the writing wasn't terrible, I just kept reading and reading and as I continued, I felt myself being slowly drawn into the narrator's experience. I guess this is what them fancy-pants writer types like to call "immersion." In any case, for some reason that I can't explain, I felt like I was on the verge of tears at some point just before the game turns into a photo tour of La Turbie.

Anyway, I'm interested to know what were your goals when you made this project if you don't mind sharing it here.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 06:56:46 pm by lordcloudx »

Wright

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:42:35 am »
Out of all the games made by Mikey, this was the second best. (in my opinion)
There is really no word to describe his writing style.
The story not only gives the reader sadness, but also horror and sympathy for the protagonist.
This story was really great but I didn't expect it to end like that.
What was the meaning of him searching all over the streets? And why did he think he would find Elissa here out of all places? I really did not understand the meaning of the ending.

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:57:07 pm »
Thank you for playing and the nice comments - and I hope this will explain all the questions:

My goal is always to express the "theme". In Umeda Sky's case this theme was "luck", and in the story this manifests in the last part, when Keiji visits La Turbie and daydreams about his "return" and within those daydreams he also meets Elissa by chance.

At the beginning, Keiji raises his hopes for the vacation, hoping that a special moment which will somehow change him will come, along with admitting an undefined source of worry that is not related to his love life. In his daydreams, he lets Elissa have a similar "problem", something that bothers her about her existence, but that she can't formulate or get a grasp on, hoping to see whether his imagination he would lead him to understand what his worries may be. He deliberately doesn't mirror the same feelings as he has, on Elissa, just the same external effects.

In order for this to work, and make his daydreams "realistic", he overcomes his inhibitions and allows himself to think of the situations romantically. It is not easy, since already people are making "fun" of him by assuming he has a "dream to meet and marry a pretty French girl", but he understands that the only way to change his situation is to be honest with everything - meaning admitting, if only indirectly by the culmination of his daydream at the game's end, that he in fact really did want to meet a nice girl that he would fall in love with, and who would fall in love with him.

His romantic dreams are however only a symbol of honesty, without which he couldn't have continued the story in Monaco. Here, his daydreams continue the story, he lets honest (to the point of being random) thoughts shape Elissa and her worries, specifying everything about her situation more and more, and at the amphitheater in Monaco eventually having to come up with and accept the embarrassingly stereotypical phrase "nothing lasts forever" (similarly to indirectly accepting the phrase that he dreams about a pretty girl). It is nevertheless the destructive realization that nothing she can do or create will last and thus the purpose of anything cannot be defined by time, and the implications of this uptset Keiji so much, he chooses to forget and deny that this is the source of his worry as well.

The key scene is the next day, when he rejects the theory that everything can be disintegrated, because it is making him uncomfortable, refusing to think about any consequences and instead focusing on honesty and his story with Elissa. In his daydreams he takes almost the same approach again, this time thinking about external effects of a situation that he would have "solved". And so, he imagines himself being older - the passed time, his grey hair and calmness he creates by feeling his surroundings - all symbolizing that he has "figured out" what it was that bothered him, that he has identified and eliminated the source of his discomfort.

He finds Elissa, by chance. She has bought a house in La Turbie (this is my implied explanation), because she liked the place. Keiji didn't know it, and as luck would have it, they met, after all those years. In his dreams, Elissa is older, and radiating the same kind of calmness as he is, up to the point where it's an inevitable conclusion (not just an implication, I hope), that they get together, romantically. Their meeting (and thus the beginning of their getting together) is luck, just as Keiji's change in how he daydreams about his situation is based on "luck" (when he assumed he was "lucky" and was able to figure out his problems), implying that even the question of nothing being permanent can be countered by luck - if Elissa is lucky, it's not imposssible the Umeda Sky Building will last for as long as one can imagine time.

And so, the last segment where the player is asked to walk around La Turbie for as long as he feels is right is the materialization of the dream that doesn't need to end and that you yourself need to force to end (the game by exiting, the theory of luck by the assumption of time passing endlessly). I do call the theme "luck" as a whole, but it's partially also about "coincidence", "hope" and "belief" as well, sometimes what I want to express feels as a single thing to me, but there are either more words for it, or it's partially called something else as well.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 01:03:00 pm by mikey »

Wright

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 10:17:37 am »
It makes sense now.
But I am sad when you said that your are going to quit VN making.
Your VNs may not be very popular in the forums, but remember this quote--
"What is right is not always popular, and what is popular, is not always right."
There is always something special in your writing style and all your stories has a hidden meaning.
If it's not popular, it's because not everyone can understand the deeper meaning of your stories.
Looks like we are going to lose an awesome VN maker.

anything