Author Topic: Anthridercynantide - The Teacup VN Festival 2011 Day 3  (Read 3770 times)

mikey

• View Profile
Anthridercynantide - The Teacup VN Festival 2011 Day 3
« on: August 02, 2011, 09:04:34 pm »

Genre: Slice-of-Life

Description:
A street worker gathers all his savings to go abroad and face a woman who he believes shares a common past with him.

Screenshots:

Download: Windows

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
Re: Anthridercynantide - The Teacup VN Festival 2011 Day 3
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 05:14:30 pm »
Just finished this and got the second ending, will have another try to get ending 1 at some point.

I must say I really loved the visual presentation of this game from the very start. It's really inventive and pretty, the photo's are great, and the way they and the text is used brings about the right kind of emotion for the story. Normally when people use photos as backgrounds the first impression they give is "cheap", but it wasn't like that here - more like it was exactly as it should be. At least to me.

The story was interesting too, as it slowly unravelled what had happened. The plot reminds me of a certain movie that I like a lot (but with less yandere tendencies :P)

The part where the choices started coming up and reaching up to the final scene felt like they slowed down a lot though, and maybe just because I'm not such a romantic, they didn't feel as important as the rest either ^^; Blame my cynical being for that, heh.

A really great piece all in all :)

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 07:45:06 am »
Thank you for playing! 

I'm glad you like the real-photo visuals, I agree that it's one of the things that I is often viewed as a substitute for drawn BGs, I think mostly because visual novels have a strong anime heritage. I use filtered photos for a certain level of abstraction, but in this case (as well for Umeda Sky, and also for Aurora Fall), I use real photos (also, in large quantities), because they have a certain depth that drawn and even CG renders don't have. You have to think with them in mind from the outset, but I found that real photos are in fact very pretty and can convey a lot of the atmosphere, even an escapist one.

As for the romantic element, I think you're actually right in not seeing it as all too romantic, it really isn't. I would imagine romance would come (again) in the future, but that is not the scope of the story. And the finale isn't really one, so seeing it as slowing down is really very much the way it's supposed to feel. A lot of the time I just wanted to convey walking side by side without saying anything.

lordcloudx

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:13:23 am »
Might as well reply here as well, eh? I got stuck for a few minutes in the first part of the game because I didn't realize that you needed to click in order to make it progress. I found it to have this feeling of "coolness" which seems to be a trademark of mikey's games. By "coolness," I mean that there is a sense of cold unfamiliarity with regards to the atmosphere that the game evokes. I'm not sure if this is intentional, but it's feels a lot like the sloping structure that I noticed in Gakuen Redux and even in Time's Tear. The atmosphere gradually changes from one that feels cold and distant to one of warm familiarity and finally to the point of lonesome individuality (depending on the ending, I suppose). The music and the "style" of the photographic bgs definitely help to evoke this atmosphere that I perceive.

I'll be looking forward to trying out Umeda Sky sometime tonight.

DaFool

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 05:09:00 pm »
Wow, lordcloudx's depiction of Isabella is very similar to Kathryn's style in Gakuen Redux, was this intentional?  It was a perfect fit.

mikey - I sent you an email inquiring the status of music in Aurora Fall, since I heard very familiar tunes being used here and in Umeda Sky.

lordcloudx

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 05:34:39 am »
@DaFool: I just made her according to mikey's specifications. He showed me some pics of old school h-games. (Crescendo, etc.) and some outfits that he wanted the character to wear. I'm not sure if the similarity to Kathryn is similar from mikey's perspective. On my part, it's purely coincidental.

Edit: Also, I really would have preferred it if the (nearly) full-body pic was used instead of the cut-off sprite that went into the final release. In any case, it's mikey's decision.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 05:36:32 am by lordcloudx »

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 08:25:55 am »
I can say that the similarity of Isabella to the style of other sprites is purely coincidental on my ("specification") part as well. In essence I wanted the "old school eyes". Plus, as lordcloudx pointed out elsewhere, a non-slim figure. Regarding the use of the 3/4 sprite instead of the cut-off sprite, I leave it up to you if you want to talk about it here - you know I have this thing about it (it's probably true it's just my tick and I wish I didn't have it), but it's the last time I take this type of decision anyway.

As far as the music is concerned, indeed these two works are close in style to Aurora Fall, and the "old" music which was originally composed for AF in the past (in the earlier stages of AF development when AF was more of a classic VN), that didn't fit with the current AF (which uses that style but but even more intensively and on a relatively large scale), fit very nicely to these two works. So I'm glad I found this kind of a "natural home" for the tracks, otherwise they would have remained unused.

anything