Author Topic: S.Y.T.Y.W.T.M.A.V.N. - The Teacup VN Festival 2011 Day 2  (Read 3966 times)

lordcloudx

S.Y.T.Y.W.T.M.A.V.N. - The Teacup VN Festival 2011 Day 2
« on: August 02, 2011, 11:33:18 am »

Genre: Parody

Description: A parody skit of how the English Language Visual Novel Creation community works.

Screenshots:

Download:
dropbox link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2055303/SYTYWTMAVN-all.zip
box.net link: http://www.box.net/shared/2810ffsoj6ddbxnrlchm (thanks, mikey)
bishojo.tk mirror: http://storage.bishojo.tk/other/SYTYWTMAVN-all.zip (thanks, drakey)
download.com link: http://download.cnet.com/SYTYWTMAVN
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:00:44 am by lordcloudx »

DaFool

• View Profile
Re: S.Y.T.Y.W.T.M.A.V.N. - The Teacup VN Festival 2011 Day 2
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 09:11:29 am »
I felt like I was being trolled.  I would say "Dangit, don't make these sort of self-referential works", but I still prefer it over The Answer and was more contextually appropriate.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” -TS Elliot

Thanks for that quote.

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 04:10:05 pm »
Soo I'm finally back from obscurity to try all the other stories that came out during the festival - starting with this one.

Ahhh yes, the innocent dreams of making the most awesomest thing ever... only to burn out some weeks later :P And that happens in many more areas than just vn making.

A cute little wake-up call for those dreams that also made me giggle at times. And the style it was made in is very nice.

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 07:06:00 pm »
This VN came out of nowhere for me when lordcloudx sent me a link just so, and the part I wrote was just as spontaneously done. I liked the style of the whole piece, because while it had the character of a "troll game", or "referential piece", there was something really disturbing about it. All the heavily opinion-based pieces I have read so far were more or less artistic rants for a cathartic effect and you could almost always see there was a flame war or some past or present Internet conflict behind it. I don't normally like such games, but they have a right to exist.

What made this one special though, was that while it showed the zero-sum game of an argument, or rather the impossibility of winning, it also had an element of disrespect, not based on irrational bias, but on the fundamental truth that no one really cares about anything you do, and the only benefit of making it big is that for a while, until the world inevitably moves to the next big thing, you can live under the illusion that your work and life is meaningful.

Ailynne I found fascinating - she cannot be impressed, she cannot be destroyed, or out-argumented, because she embodies indifference. I struggled to outmaneuver her while I was writing the extra part (just for myself, at first), but it couldn't be done and the implied realization of Mr.X is the result of the understanding that the cause has always been meaningless, because acclaim, respect and fame are never permanent. So really, I loved "challenging Ailynne" and putting a third element (Mr.X) into the theory, and lordcloudx then added that extra part in.

The whole VN made me think a lot - one of the thoughts was about what the ultimate success would be (all people on the planet loving your work with a 10/10 score and not reading anything else, because it would be the final work on everything) and that even if you attained this, because there exists the passage of time, your work would have to withstand revised standards and expectations of people. The same people whose nature it is to change and be irrational and develop liking and new tastes from scratch, on a whim.

Ailynne is the essence of this principle, the materialization of the "pointlessness" of it all, and that's why I felt that this was no ordinary "rant game". I have read it numerous times by now and among the funny writing, the profound indifference still sends shivers down my spine - you know, like you live your life and all is nice, but every now and then you are reminded of the fact that at some point you're going to die. You don't want to think about it, and push away the need to deal with it. And I realize this is already way beyond "seeing too much into it" (or is it?), but in fact indifference is the only way to solve the fear of death. It's also the only way to truly understand art - though perhaps that's getting a bit too ethereal.

lordcloudx

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 04:55:56 pm »
It's quite interesting that you'd make these observations, mikey. The thing is, while I will not claim that Ailynne's apparent indifference and the message that fame and respect are never permanent things in this world were the underlying philosophies behind my writing this piece, you've actually already tapped into my psyche just from analyzing SYTYWTMAVN.

The fact is, and I'll swear by this, these things that you've mentioned are actually my personal philosophies towards creative works.  I do believe that what most people perceive as "success" is merely superficial and that there can be no true, tangible form of success that we will really be able to fully comprehend. I don't consider even worldwide, long-term recognition as success because by simply erasing the records of such recognition (which is not so simple, yes, but not entirely impossible), all the creator's efforts would be for naught.

I guess I just want people to embrace this "ultimate truth" that nothing you do will really matter in the end and thus, if you feel that it's important to you, personally, then you should simply keep on doing it without aiming for any superficial goals.