login

Author Topic: Look Twice  (Read 2577 times)

mikey

• View Profile
Look Twice
« on: October 30, 2010, 11:04:56 pm »
Together with Vatina, we'd like to give you our contribution to Teacup's Event #3.

It's called Look Twice, and you can get it here
http://www.box.net/shared/oxpo74mk7d

Screenshots can be found here:
http://atpprojects.wordpress.com/productions/

The story? Well, you find yourself in a strange world, piecing together what you can about your situation and the unknown girl who is with you.

If you manage to read the story disregarding the colors and pictures (i.e. purely focusing on the text), it comes to a different conclusion than with visuals. It's based on how the game was made and some of the things which are implied - in other words, it's a bit complicated. We decided however to keep this "duality" of the story, hopefully you will enjoy how it turned out in the end.

lordcloudx

Re: Look Twice
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 06:51:26 pm »
First of all, congratulations to the both of you. This is a great story - the kind that I'm particularly partial to; as you two are probably aware of, anyway.  :D

So, instead of using critical theory or deconstructing this piece... hehe... I'm just going to take this opportunity to ask a few design questions, possibly related to the "difference" between text and non-text version that you were talking about, mikey.

Spoiler for Hiden:
Ok, I knew that the protagonist had probably been in an accident, which leads me to my guess: I noticed that both Millie and Mia look exactly like each other and this sort of confused me. I kinda read the story as both of them being completely different persons, but, what I'm guessing is that the artist saw them as two persons in one woman - so I'm asking the creators: am I right? ;D

mikey

• View Profile
Re: Look Twice
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 07:54:53 pm »
Glad you liked it! I was happy to work on a story like this, very non-traditional genre for me :)
I will try to summarize it all with as much clarity as I can (Vatina can then add/help if I should have missed something). So...

Spoiler for Hiden:
Millie and Mia are twin sisters, Millie gets killed in the accident that Mia may or may not have caused, the causality of the broken mirror to the accident is questionable (we only really know that she was also in love with the protagonist).

In the story, the protagonist and Millie are in that accident, and while Millie dies, the protagonist is still not woken up - a symbolic figure appears to guide him to the truth and consequently to his awakening. As he grows more and more conscious and based on what he thinks, the figure gets clearer and cleared and turns into either Millie or Mia. It doesn't change the facts that Millie is dead, though, just the way the awakening (or not awakening) comes about.

So far so clear - but if you read only the text, the story means to say that girl with the ribbon is actually Mia and that's why choosing the ribbon gives you "her" path. However, if you follow the colors of the text and look at the pictures, it's exactly the opposite - Mia has no ribbon in her hair, and the person with the ribbon is but a vision within that dream, of Millie. And vice versa.

But to answer the question, indeed the slow forming of the identity of the girl (first just gray question marks, then colored question marks and then names) means at the early stage, when not yet sufficiently clarified by the protagonist's recollections and decisions, they are both "united" in one vision (the girl with the gray question marks). This is supported by the fact that she implicitly (through omission of hyphens in direct speech of the protagonist) but also explicitly (on two occasions) responds to the protagonist's thoughts by speaking when he doesn't "speak" himself, but just thinks something.

Uff, I hope this was at least somewhat helpful. There was this difference in how either of us perceived the story, in essence.

anything