Author Topic: Wings (2010)  (Read 4251 times)

lordcloudx

Wings (2010)
« on: October 11, 2010, 12:57:16 PM »
After many years as a sporadically active member of the once-fledgling EVN developers community, I am proud to re-present my first visual novel, "Wings."

For those who are unfamiliar with the story, Wings is something that I would categorize as a psychological drama. The story deals mostly with inner conflict using the perspectives of two individuals with unique outlooks towards life and existence in general. For more information about the metaphor used and the philosophy behind this title, please refer to the author's notes in-game. The story can be read in 8 minutes, but I would recommend reading at a slower pace to truly immerse yourself in the experience presented by this VN.

This 2010 remake is, in my opinion, as close to the ideal that I envisioned Wings to be as I can make it - short, sweet and aesthetically pleasing. The ideas presented in this VN may not appeal to everyone, but I do hope that you read through this VN from start to finish and at least try to feel the experience which I tried to embody in this short, no-longer-abstract piece.

Screenshots

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Known issues:
The font used in this game uses the same symbol for commas and full stops.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 01:42:04 PM by lordcloudx »

mikey

• View Profile
Re: Wings (2010)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:36:05 PM »
I wish there was a way of expressing something like a silent nod of respect which at the same time tells you that I understand how superfluous and pointless any comment really is. I try to think of what to say - praise, tell you how it made me feel, discuss its appeal - but every time I think about it, it feels wrong. I know I want to say something so you know - or I just want to acknowledge -  that I have played Wings and felt like it did everything you wanted it to do. But it just doesn't feel right to say this or that, it's like it doesn't matter what can be said, when I know that you already know and understand whatever I could possibly come up with. In other words, there is really nothing to add. Nothing to discuss, or analyze. I can only envy you for this work.

PS: It took me definitely more than 30 minutes to play, by the way. I listened to the music, even paused a few times, thought about the text... it's been a while since I played like this  :)

lordcloudx

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 02:52:00 PM »
Thanks. Just the fact that you actually read it and informed me about it means a lot to me. Also, I'm honored that you actually listened to my amateurish music.

It's exam week right now, but I finally took the effort to add this at the top of my semi-permanent blog http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com (as far as blospot allows) and to upload.com for permanent hosting.

sake-bento

• Suiheisen
    • View Profile
    • sakevisual
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 05:05:10 AM »
I've never played the original, but I was looking forward to this, just from looking at the teasers you were posting on your twitter.

I didn't know what to expect coming in. The intro made me think I was in for a story about being an otaku, but then it all changed up and wound up being a lot more interesting (not that being an otaku isn't interesting). I felt a lot of raw honesty in this, and the emotion definitely came through. Looking at your notes, I see you've lifted some of your own experience for this, and I really appreciate that. It gave the piece (I won't really say story) a more solid feel.

I really like the music, too. I think that's what really gave me all the different emotions at the different points in time.

Thank you very much for sharing. It's thoughtful, inspiring, and beautiful.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 09:43:37 PM by sake-bento »

lordcloudx

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 03:46:20 PM »
Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts/reactions. I always enjoy reading everyone's inputs on my works (positive or negative) as long as it doesn't seem like too much of a critic's perspective.

I'm honored that you actually liked the bgm loops that I made. I did try my best, but I really don't think too highly of my music skills.