Author Topic: Wings Remake?  (Read 4602 times)

lordcloudx

Wings Remake?
« on: September 28, 2010, 06:38:22 am »
I have an excess of creative energy lately and it's telling me that it might be time for a remake of Wings (my first visual novel.)

Basically, I want to upgrade the graphics while retaining the script. This is a little side-project apart from my secret main projects, thus, production time will probably be one week or less. I think I'll turn this into a sort of development thread and post my artworks for Kotori and the protagonist here for  feedback.

I'm also open for offers to do the character art and backgrounds from other artists just don't take longer than a month (2 weeks is ideal). Furthermore, I'm also open to feedback to the idea of a remake for this game in general. Basically, I want to turn it into a competent piece of work both visually and textually (is that a word?)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 06:40:24 am by lordcloudx »

mikey

• View Profile
Re: Wings Remake?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 07:24:51 pm »
Hmmm, just an idea - what if it wasn't just a remake, but a complete re-telling, meaning changing not just the graphics, but also the setting. Perhaps choosing a completely different protagonist, in a very different situation, but with the same thoughts and qualitatively same feelings. Making a "soulmate" to Wings.

lordcloudx

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 05:32:12 am »
@mikey: That's not a bad idea, but that would also entail writing a completely new story, it seems. I'm tied up for quite awhile when it comes to writing, which is why I wanted to devote this excess creative energy on creating the new graphics.

Of course, I may be misunderstanding your suggestion. Would you care to expound?

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 07:44:53 am »
That was in fact what I meant - I thought that if you're already redoing the graphics completely (like creating new sprites, new BGs) and given the fact that I assume you're not going to be improving existing ones, but create new ones from scratch, I feel that the effort is in that case equivalent to a whole new work - therefore given the length of Wings, I thought that re-imagining all the ideas behind it wouldn't be a whole lot more work (the story isn't all that long), and you could have a kind of different flavor to the matter as opposed to updating the graphics only. It's a case of "when doing this, why not do this other thing as well".

But I get the point you made that in fact writing is a different kind of mental effort, so I understand that you'd only want to remake the graphics. It depends on whether you wanted to just get in touch with your first work again, or whether you also wanted to revisit it. My suggestion was just to consider this "revisiting", so that it would still feel like a remake even though it would be completely different, because the "soul" would stay the same. But that may or may not be a good time or idea, this is something you will know.

lordcloudx

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 05:58:29 pm »
Thanks for clarifying that. Yeah, I didn't think I'd have the creative energy to devote to a total remake... but now, I'm considering it. Regardless, I just want to see the original Wings looking as pretty as I can make it.

Lineart for redesigned Kotori

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Flat Coloring is done too

Edit: thanks to Hime for the tip on making the lines look smoother.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 06:33:02 pm by lordcloudx »

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:35:31 am »
I liked Wings, and I can understand your feelings of wanting it to look its best. And that new sprite really is quite an improvement! I like :)

lordcloudx

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 06:31:23 pm »
@Vatina: Thanks! That's really encouraging.

Here's the fully-colored sprite. Time to make the happy pose.

2nd pose done

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 07:06:11 pm by lordcloudx »

lordcloudx

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 05:08:54 pm »
This thread is getting a bit lonely, so I hope you guys don't mind this double-post.
Progress report: Almost all art assets are done now. As per Hime and Kikered's suggestion, I've decided to redo the music for this VN as well in order to truly "one-man-band" it all the way.

Ren'pie programming hasn't started yet, but this is a mock-up of how the game should look like. It shouldn't be too much trouble to script.

lordcloudx

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2010, 05:25:40 pm »
La dee da~! Re-imagining Wings or maybe not~ in any case, have a true in-game screenshot