imagelogin

Author Topic: Today I created...  (Read 14192 times)

Vatina

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • White Cat
Today I created...
« on: February 01, 2010, 07:37:49 pm »
Inspired by a thread I saw on another creator forum, this is a place for you to post about whatever achievements you may have reached today. It may not be a lot - but at least something you can look at and say "I did something!"

It could be anything - a piece of art, code or script maybe. As long as it is another step towards the completion of your project. And maybe even a motivational booster for other creators here.

To start off I made.... this:

(Yay for crappy jpg's)

I also wrote about 900 words of dialogue for the same project. As for inserting it... that is still a good ways off <_<;
« Last Edit: February 01, 2010, 07:41:04 pm by Vatina »

sake-bento

• Suiheisen
    • View Profile
    • sakevisual
    • Email
Re: Today I created...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 02:49:07 pm »

Rendered in Bryce. Took about half an hour to do this? So nothing huge or impressive, persay. I'm still trying to figure out how to make Terragen do what I want it to. Bryce, for me, is much easier to use.

lordcloudx

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 04:55:04 pm »
I wrote a few words for a VN that we're keeping under wraps for now. It was quite refreshing.

MoonlightBomber

• View Profile
    • Moonlight Bomber's Chronicles Mk. II
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 06:07:15 pm »

This a sprite of Jess (Mana Khemia) that I heavily edited from Loose Leaf's character editor for an RPG Maker XP project that will be released on Valentine's Day.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:09:19 pm by MoonlightBomber »

Deji

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 11:39:13 pm »
Today I fixed continuity errors on some event CGs and drew sneakers on a character using real life refs.
That made me realize I should practice drawing shoes more often and stop avoiding them >>;

Enerccio

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 01:50:48 am »
Today was kinda painful at start. I didn't write anything yesterday and I was dedicated to write something today. SO I resolved, by cutting myself from internet, closing all distractions and just run scite with fullscreen (f11). That helped, so I managed to add about 700 words. Too bad drakey left to watch damn Lost...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 10:54:42 am by Enerccio »

Hime

• of Lux Visual Novels
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lux Visual Novels Blog
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 10:08:17 am »
Just to remind everyone, while one-liners are not entirely forbidden they are discouraged to an extent. They are fine as long as there are not too many of them, but I am sure everyone would prefer posts that do not only state what you did. It is a bit boring. Please tell something more, like what it felt like, how did it go, did you like what you finished... maybe you can even show the results of your work like some have in this thread. Post like this are often a lot more useful and nice for other people to read too. :)

As for me, I woke up in the writing mood today, which is very rare for me: I usually feel the most inspired in the evenings. So I lay in the bed for a while, thinking about the situation the protagonist was in in my script, which gave me pretty nice ideas. Add a delicious breakfast to the mix (good food always improves the quality of your writing, does it not?), and what I have right now is a script actually complete to some extent! Knowing myself it will receive some heavy editing, but I have finished the phase that is the most difficult for me, so it is a very great day. Yay!
A piece of eternal wisdom: "Viking-chan isn't a viking-chan without her beard!"
Click here for the Lux Visual Novels blog!

lordcloudx

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 03:41:49 am »
Woke up with mixed feelings today. I've decided to scrap a few things and formally bring some loose ends to a conclusion.

This will be used in the output of that conclusion: http://animerd2k2.net/angels1.ogg
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 03:53:32 am by lordcloudx »

Tsundere Lightning

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 08:47:16 pm »
This Tuesday, I plotted out, scene by scene, a relatively short ren-ai game I'm making just for practice with Ren'Py, and made a checklist of needed art assets.

It's gratifying to have that sort of plotting out of the way to begin with, which is a problem I tend to have with writing multilinear stories.  On the other hand, I might need to cut a lot, because I had no idea how complex I was making it.  Even considering that I decided early on to just use the Tsuina sprite and free background sets, that's a LOT of scenes and backgrounds, even if I cheat and use aggressive scene cuts.

It's very frustrating to realize that I'm my own worst enemy, sometimes.  I love to make things more complex, and it takes real effort to make it simple.  Something I have to work on.

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 09:38:10 pm »
Well, not as much "created" (though the actual output were a thousand or so words for my current project) as "experienced" in the last days, but anyway, maybe this can be useful. I've been asking a friend to give me her copy of a speech recognition software (Dragon Naturally Speaking version 10, the best as far as I know), to try out, the idea being I'd comfortably sit in a chair and talk into the microphone, which would mean stories would write themselves. Obviously, the reality is a bit different, so here are my observations.

Using speech recognition for story writing

So I installed it and set up the mic and whatnot. And basically, it was okay, just not really great, especially for quick dictation. Actually, the word recognition was relatively fine (I thought my accent and all would make it confused, but it adapted nicely), but it was the punctuation, special words (names) or abbreviations within sentences, and paragraphs etc that made my enthusiasm go away. You can usually get good recognition if you speak slowly and clearly, but I wanted to speak at normal speed and that seemed to confuse the program. When I wasn't making pauses, the software had problems catching up processing input and then it just crumbled and typed weird things.

Yes, there is a way of improving it all with patience and corrections as you use the software, but then that looks like a lot of time to invest into teaching the program, and after a few "optimization sessions" I saw zero actual improvement, so I guess won't be making use of it, it seems. I also tried just speaking at it and get a "raw" paragraph with mistakes and all, which I then would correct by hand, but I spent so much time correcting, it wasn't worth it. Even at its best, I struggled to even come close to an inspired typing session's output in terms of words per hour or whatever the measurement.

I guess it's not only the recognition, but also the fact that you have to get into a different state of realization about what you are doing - formulating your thoughts on paper is different to the way one expresses things with the spoken word, so there also has to be a switch in how you talk (I spent a lot of time rephrasing sentences). And you need a quiet place work as well, you can't speak in the presence of others (unless that is your thing), so the realistic application of voice recognition for writing seems to be limited to your writing room when you're alone. And the software is really pricey.

Well, that's my experience, and I definitely won't be trying voice recognition software for a few years. The promise is nice, but it just doesn't work for me. Uninstalled today, after three days of action. For a hobbyist writer, this doesn't seem to solve anything.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 09:44:52 pm by mikey »

denzil

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Lunaen
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 10:46:59 am »
I think it's about time I posted here too (:

I was in mood to do some coloring today:
It's called a miracle because it doesn't happen.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

lordcloudx

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 03:48:11 pm »
I finished drawing one out of two character sprites for a short work-in-progress game. I also made a basic mock-up of how I want my game to look like:

Right now I'm trying to decide which engine this type of user interface would be easier to implement in: Novelty or Ren'Py? My main problem with Ren'Py is that there's no easy way to customize the GUI. (Speaking from experience.)

mikey

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 09:37:44 pm »
Well, for something unorthodox, I just tried making an Open Office Impress presentation (the open source equivalent to Microsoft Powerpoint), and it has an Export to SWF option - so it saved it as a Flash file, and it worked like a charm.

Limitations are: no saves, and good only for linear stories (at least I couldn't figure out how to branch). But I assume this would be your case - and with Impress you can pretty much design your VN as you like it.

I guess if you google hard enough, there might be a SWF to standalone exe converter...? But it's too late now, I need to get up really early tomorrow.

lordcloudx

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2010, 05:34:07 am »
Well, for something unorthodox, I just tried making an Open Office Impress presentation (the open source equivalent to Microsoft Powerpoint), and it has an Export to SWF option - so it saved it as a Flash file, and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for the tip. I really did want to give Novelty a try for this one though. It went a lot smoother than expected. It takes a little trial and error to get used to how Novelty expects you to use it, but the readme + the GUI pretty much cover everything you need to start making games. 

Today, I finished making that short game in Novelty although the release date is still a month or so away.

Here's a screenshot of the title screen
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 05:36:40 am by lordcloudx »

Meems

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 03:42:38 pm »
Today I finished scripting an annoying (to code, hopefully not to play) sequence of menus. Also, not today but yesterday, I finally managed to get my custom text box to work correctly in Ren'Py.

(Stupid text positioning.)

anything